Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 22:31:16 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bleeding jumbo now defaults to UTF-8

On 2015-05-27 10:11, Albert Veli wrote:
> Is there a recommended way to convert existing john.pot files to utf-8?
>
> I tried:
>
>   iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8 john.pot > john2.pot
>
> and it seems to work, but I am not really sure if it will "remember" all
> cracked hashes or if some hashes will be encoded wrong. Ie those that
> were not in iso-8859-1 encoding from the beginning. Chinese characters
> and so on.

The most reliable way is a totally different approach - just recrack
everything. It's along the lines of this:

1. Create an input file by reversing the old pot file:
    perl <john.pot >recrack.in -pe 's/^([^:]*):(.*)$/\2:\1/'

2. Rename old john.pot and write-protect it until your done with all
conversions, so you don't accidentally blow it.

3. Use new defaults so your brand new john.pot will be 100% UTF-8.

4. Re-crack all hashes in your pot file:
    ./john recrack.in -form:nt -inp=iso-8859-1 -si:none
    ./john recrack.in -form:lm -inp=cp850 -si:none
    ./john recrack.in -form:(...)

Re-run #4 for any other relevant encodings and formats until nothing's
missing in the new pot file.

A variant to using single mode is to use -loopback:john.old.pot. For
salted formats, using -si is much faster though.

I'm not sure I convered the exact details to 100% but you get the idea.

magnum