Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 20:47:47 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bleeding-jumbo - How case and alpha options of regex
 mode suppose to work?

On 2015-05-08 23:13, Marek Wrzosek wrote:
> Hi
>
> How case and alpha options suppose to work?
> In standalone regex mode command line:
(...)
> =alpha option for leet, leet2 and leet3 parameters is working as
> expected, but need =case option to work with leet2_case and leet3_case
> alphabets. With leet+c =alpha option does not need =case option. And of
> course there is no leet_case alphabet in regex_alphabets.conf file.
>
> Maybe someone should revise README.librexgen file.
> Undocumented - it's a bug, documented it'll be feature ;-)

I have no time to look into this right now but from what you wrote so
far I guess we have a bug in regex mode, possibly caused by changes the
API. I haven't tried this cracking mode since JimF introduced it. Jim
himself is apparently occupied with something else right now, and anyway
he lost faith in rexgen when the API changed under our feet without
notice. I'm afraid this might end (worst case) with us dropping regex
mode sooner or later.

Anyway, thank you for reporting. If you get some clues or info from Jan
Starke (author of rexgen) or find out something else of importance,
please report this here as well. I may have time to give this a quick
look within a week or so.

magnum