Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 01:57:16 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: sha512 with 1.7.9-jumbo-8-RC

Hi Alex,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:46:57AM -0500, Alex wrote:
> I have a fedora20 system and a few hundred passwords I'd like to
> check. Can someone give me an idea of what to expect from hash speeds?
>
> I'm running it on a E31240 3.3Ghz with these CPU flags
[...]
> It's only processing a few hundred characters per second:
>
> guesses: 0  time: 0:00:53:07 10.57% (ETA: Mon Jan 26 19:12:23 2015)
> c/s: 398  trying: 39131
>
> Is this to be expected or have I done something wrong?

This is to be expected for the JtR version you're using, but you should
use 1.8.0-jumbo-1 instead and either run it with --fork=8 or build it
with OpenMP support (in fact, it builds with OpenMP support by default,
but --fork=8 is slightly faster if your system has any other load).

You should expect around 2000 c/s on this CPU, with OpenMP or as
cumulative speed for the 8 fork'ed processes.

c/s is not "characters per second", it is more like "combinations per
second" (of password and hash) or "crypt()s per second".

Alexander