Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 15:51:14 -0500
From: Rafael Veras <rafaveguim@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: How to force John to count duplicate guesses?

Hi,

I'm running an experiment with a wordlist containing 8 billion entries,
many of which are duplicates.

By the end of the experiment a get the following status line:

1956366g *7942070363p* 0:00:21:18 1530g/s 6214Kp/s 6214Kc/s 25268GC/s
lyngemita..LynGemItA

In bold is the number of password candidates tried. I expected to see
8000000000 there.

After some toy experiments, I realized John might not be counting
candidates that were already tried.

>From the status lines, I generate a graph with the performance of guessing
methods. Not counting duplicates artificially boosts the performance of
this particular guessing method, in terms of hits/guesses.

So is it possible to easily alter this behavior, either in john.conf or in
the source code?!

Best regards

--

Rafael