Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 04:03:05 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR 1.8.0 jumbo-1 mac      -i: do not works ?

On 2014-12-27 21:16, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 08:35:47PM +0100, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>>  I have compiled JTR 1.8.0 jumbo 1 (OS X, mavericks)
>>
>>  I try :  ./john  hash.txt  -i:alpha.chr
>>

>>  I get : Unknown option: "-i:alpha.chr ยป
>
> Use -inc:alpha.chr . At the moment -i is ambiguous because there are
> --input-encoding=NAME     input encoding (alias for --encoding)
> --internal-encoding=NAME  encoding used in rules/masks (see doc/ENCODING)
>
> (Hm, these option are listed on --list=hidden-options while
> --incremental is on main list of options.)

This is irritating even for me (and I'm the one to blame) but it's what
we have now. One feature that makes it bareable is installing the bash
completion scripts. If you have them active and try typing -i and then
two tabs, you'll see the alternatives.

Just do a "make install" or quite possibly "sudo make install" to get that.

magnum