Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:26:26 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: content of passwd file and --single

On 2014-12-18 14:15, Patrick Proniewski wrote:
> On 18 déc. 2014, at 10:01, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> The 5th field is the "full name" or "GECOS" field, it will be used for
>> --single. The GECOS field might contain names or descriptions with
>> multiple words, i.e. "Frank Dittrich", "Anonymous NFS User", etc.
>>
>> John will split that contents into individual words and also use
>> combinations of these words and login name etc. in single mode.
>>
>> Core john will split the contents at these ASCII characters into words:
>>
>> /*
>> * Word separator characters for ldr_split_words(), used on GECOS fields.
>> */
>> #define issep \
>>         "!\"#$%&'()*+,-./:;<=>?@[\\]^_`{|}~\177"
>
> Ok thanks! So basically I should be able to fill the GECOS field with many info grabbed from the LDIF file, just in case some user's passwd includes their phone number or staff ID.

Yes. When attacking hashes from some DB dump that also includes eg.
email addresses, full names and lots of other stuff, I use to stuff the
gecos field with anything that can possibly make sense and in no
particular order.

If you put a lot of stuff there though, there is a limit in how many of
them will be combined for creating "word pairs". Every word will be
tried, but not every combination of pairs. In core Jumbo this limit is 4
and hard-coded in params.h. In bleeding-jumbo the limit is bumped to 6
and you can even change it in john.conf.

This thread might explain it better:
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2011/03/22/8

magnum