Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:04:25 -0900
From: Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bleeding-jumbo: john fails to show status on key press

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Frank Dittrich
<frank.dittrich@...lbox.org> wrote:
> On 12/18/2014 06:40 AM, Royce Williams wrote:
>>> you could also try sending it a SIGUSR1 from another shell. Does that work,
>>> but not pressing a key? If so, we need to investigate.
>>
>> Yes, SIGUSR1 also works.  Interesting.
>
> You are not running john from within some shell script, do you?

This was a good lead.  Not a shell script, but I was sometimes calling
john via sudo, because the working directory for some jobs was only
readable by root.  This explains why it was intermittent for me.
Neither invoking a full shell (sudo sh, sudo bash, etc.) nor "su -"
exhibit the symptom; just "sudo john [...]".

Why would running john via sudo make key-press status updates not appear?

My not-so-secret X power appears to be finding weird use cases that
most people never trigger ...

Royce