Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 14:53:39 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PRINCE approach from hashcat

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 2:39 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> If Atom includes this on GPU in a future version of ocl#cat it will run in
> circles around any 'manual' work you can come up with, to the point that it
> could compensate for a good deal of sofistication. That's why I like this
> idea (I haven't tested it at all). Together with a cleverly crafted wordlist
> it should do a fair job with very little user effort.
>
> There's no way it can ever replace Single mode though. That's a whole
> different beast!
Can incremental be expanded to (smallish)words that are commonly next
to one another? You'd need a good dataset of real multi-word
passwords, the trouble may be that the passwords are not delimited
into words by spaces or other characters. I have had great success
using IMDB titles, CDDB album/song names, and even idioms.
nofatebutwhatwemake, myhovercraftisfullofeels etc...
I even put forth (previously) a "soundex" or "metaphone" database or
weighting system... so that it might be possible to crack something
like
kan'tstopmii or can'tstopme hopefully without much mangling, but I am
no CS or programmer so I just talk out loud mostly :)
Using Brad Tilly's WordMachine I was able to do some pretty complex
things too as I recall.
-rich