Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 22:00:59 +0100
From: Patrick Proniewski <patpro@...pro.net>
To: Dennis Glatting <dg@...2.com>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenMP on FreeBSD ?

On 27 nov. 2014, at 19:58, Dennis Glatting wrote:

> For performance reasons you should try various compilation flags and run
> speed tests. I also recommend testing different versions of GCC. Flags
> specific to your processor helps too.

Thank you for all these informations. I'm afraid it's a little too far for my field of competences, but I can at least try to make something clean with gcc5 and processor flags.

I'm running FreeBSD on an Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 :

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz (3300.10-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x306a9  Family = 0x6  Model = 0x3a  Stepping = 9
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x7fbae3ff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
  AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  Standard Extended Features=0x281<GSFSBASE,SMEP,ENHMOVSB>

So I guess I can push up to SSE4.2, that translates into -msse4.2 in OMPFLAGS.

thanks,
patpro