Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 01:55:26 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ad-hoc work sharing, or proof of keyspace/mask exhaustion

On 2014-11-25 17:23, Royce Williams wrote:
> Is there any practical way for JtR to provide evidence that a given
> keyspace has been exhausted for a given hash and mask -- such that
> someone else could verify it or skip it?

Interesting question. I guess we could produce some kind of very fast
hash that doesn't really *guarantee* we did a "job" but that *indicates*
we did. No matter how we do it, it will affect performance though.

But how would the server/mother/master know that such a hash is correct?
The only way is to do that exact work yourself and that would defeat the
whole idea of it. So we could only use this for sample control.

magnum