Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 21:39:07 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Xeon Phi support?

On 2014-11-12 08:17, Royce Williams wrote:
> Given the recent sub-$200 pricing for the Xeon Phi 3151P, and the
> relative scarcity of inexpensive ZTEX boards :-) , what are the
> potential and likely performance, and level of effort required to use
> Intel Phi boards with John the Ripper? Just looking for some rough
> approximations.

Using OpenCL is pretty straightforward - as with any other device you
just need to have drivers for it and JtR will accept it.

Solar/Openwall has a Xeon Phi 5110P in a dev box. The (admittedly old)
drivers currently installed on that box are *awful*, they fail compiling
many kernels and others segfault when running. This driver is worse than
Apple's OpenCL drivers for nvidia/AMD two years ago, which would
otherwise easily hold the world record in crappiness.

Right now I'm not interested in playing with the Phi for that reason alone.

magnum