Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 17:44:11 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: feed <feedtek@...il.com>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PKZIP and GPU acceleration

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 03:09:28PM +0200, feed wrote:
> Thanks Alexander, i'll try in a minute
> Any advice for the compiling build for an ec2?

Just use bleeding-jumbo's defaults.  Then use --fork=N, with N matching
the number of logical CPUs you see in /proc/cpuinfo (perhaps 32).

> For a 127GB archive (a win backup with file and folders) i used zip2john to
> extract the hash with no options, it is correct?

That's correct usage, yes, although I don't think we ever tested on a
pkzip archive this big.  You could want to create a test archive of
similar size, with a known password, and try cracking that first.  You
could create that test archive right on the EC2 machine.

Oh, and please re-run zip2john after you've upgraded to bleeding-jumbo.
Do not merely reuse the output from the older zip2john that you had used
before.  It might differ.  Like I said, there was a bug.

Alexander