Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 15:13:14 +0300
From: Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: PKZIP and GPU acceleration

Hello,

> For this format, GPUs don't matter.  (We do have a GPU-enabled format
> for the newer WinZip/AES archives, but not for the old PKZIP.)

I do not completely agree, but it depends on the number of files in the zip
archive. If you have a single file, then yes - it does not matter. If you
have at least several files, then you get additional verifiers and then you
can do most of the work on the GPUs leaving decryption/decompression/CRC
check on the CPU for just a very small subset of the password candidates. A
zip archive with 4-5 files in it can greatly benefit from GPU processing, I
remember speeds exceeding 1B/s on a 7970. But I also remember being asked a
lot of times why cracking old zip format is much slower than what I've
tweeted a while ago and I have to explain the same thing over and over
again.