Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 20:03:43 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wordlist mode

On 2014-09-30 19:34, Rich Rumble wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
>> wrote:
>>> - is it possible ask JtR to test a blank string using wordlist mode? Put
>>> a blank string ("") inside a wordlist file?
>>> - any problems with this string inside a wordlist file? >7fSy+N\\W=o@Wd&
>>>
>>> Do I have to escape? How?
>>>
>> #!comment: This is a wordlist comment
>> #!comment: This is the escape sequence
>> I think that's how :)
>> There may be another method... but that is the one from All.lst
>> ftp://ftp.openwall.com/pub/wordlists/all.gz
>>
> I misunderstood your reason for asking... the word you want to put in
> doesn't need escaped in a wordlist.

Right. Except for m/^#!comment/ as above, almost anything in a wordlist
is passed as-is. There are three "characters" you can't use at all: \n,
\r and \0. Actually in (at least) some cases I think you can
theoretically use \r in the middle of a word but don't rely on it, at
least not in bleeding (if you would somehow actually need \r or \n
included in candidates, it's supported by mask mode, rules and external
modes/filters).

BTW -stdout is your friend when you want to try stuff like that.

$ echo first >dict
$ echo >> dict
$ echo '>7fSy+N\\W=o@...' >>dict
$ cat dict
first

 >7fSy+N\\W=o@Wd&
$ ../run/john -stdout -w:dict
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
first

 >7fSy+N\\W=o@Wd&
3p 0:00:00:00 100.00% (2014-09-30 21:50) 75.00p/s >7fSy+N\\W=o@Wd&

magnum