Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 01:58:14 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: NTLM-CUDA

On 2014-07-30 00:41, Pyrex wrote:
> What are the odds of getting support for NTLM + CUDA? Or is this just not in the scope? Multiforcer has it but that project seems dead and non applicable to my needs.

I assume you mean NT as in the SAM database, not some C/R network
format. Personally I only refer to the latter as NTLM, if anything.

NT is as trivial as it gets but there's currently no point in
implementing it: Our OpenCL implementation of NT is slower than the CPU
one. This is because we generate candidates on CPU - which is not fast
enough no saturate a good GPU - and transferring them to GPU eats even
more performance.

Core changes are needed to support candidate generation on GPU. Sayantan
has an experimental branch implementing mask mode on GPU, and this more
or less solves the problem - but it's not ready for merging to our main
source tree. Until he finishes that code so we can merge it to core, no
raw non-iterated hash format will perform good on GPU. Last time I heard
from Sayantan he was hoping to resume work in June... but that did not
seem to happen.

magnum