Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:59:53 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenVMS support?

On 07/22/2014 01:14 AM, Mark Grace wrote:
> We're in the process of migrating from and OpenVMS system to AIX and we have a need to not change passwords.  Therefore I've been using JtR to retrieve the passwords.

It is just not realistic to assume you'll be able to crack all the
passwords.

But may be there's another option.
Apparently, AIX supports PAM:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-aixpluggable/index.html?ca=dat

Not sure whether you can really use this to add your own password hash
algorithms, but if you can:
The vms_fmt_plug.c has this info in the comment at the top:
"Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modifications, are permitted."

So, you could use this to implement an OpenVMS password hash algorithm
for AIX, and just migrate the hashes without converting them.

Even if you do, I would only use this solution temporarily, and switch
to a more secure hash algorithm supported by AIX, then finally drop
supporting OpenVMS hashes.

Frank