Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 05:12:11 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question about GPU and CPU.

On 2014-06-26 04:04, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 08:00:45PM -0500, Richard Miles wrote:
>> My machine was damaged and I got the opportunity to buy new parts,
>> including a new processor and a new GPU (r9 290x). I see some strange
>> behavior, can you help me?
>
> It's unclear from your message what problems you're experiencing when
> trying to use JtR with that GPU.  Does it work?  If not, what happens
> when you do what exactly?  Why did you start playing with the clocks and
> fan speed already (perhaps for your use case you should not)?

Actually the R9 290X (at least with 14.4 driver) is totally unusable for
cracking out-of-the-box. It will throttle clocks at ridculously low
temperatures instead of increasing fan speed a tad. You have to peg
min-clock to same as max-clock and set the "über switch" to on. Guess
who figured that out and got 15 minutes of fame B-)

>> I tried it with a hash file with 10 entries that are md5crypt and
>> sha512crypt (almost 3 md5sum and the rest sha512crypt). I tried it with a
>> dict, like this:
>>
>> john --wordlist /test.txt --rules test-md5crypt-sha512crypt.hs
>> --format=md5crypt

What is /test.txt? If the above was verbatim, Jumbo will use the default
wordlist, and will regard /test.txt as well as
test-md5crypt-sha512crypt.hs as files with input hashes.

Maybe you meant --wordlist=/test.txt or --wordlist=test.txt ?

magnum