Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 21:15:51 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Fixed a long standing 32 bit limitation (LARGE file support)

JtR (bleeding jumbo) has recently been improved by Magnum and myself to now handle large file operations for the input word files (and for .pot file reloading).  There has been a long standing limit of 2GB file sizes due to built in limitations on the fseek and ftell on 32 bit systems.  Now with the autoconfig script, and being able to probe the full capabilities of each compiler/OS, we are able to get full 64 bit file handling for most systems.

This has been fully tested on VC, (should also handle Mingw) Cygwin, Solaris sparc 32.  Magnum has compiled on numerous other 32 bit targets, including X32 builds of 64 bit linux.  Magnum has not done overly extensive testing, but i have tested pretty heavily on VC/Cygwin32 (and 64), and Sparc-32.  The functionality is very good.

Bleeding jumbo is available from:

git clone git@...hub.com:magnumripper/JohnTheRipper -b bleeding-jumbo some_new_directory

Then within the some_new_directory/src  simply run:

./configure && make -sj4

There has been quite a lot of work done recently on the autoconfigure branch. It should be building a very good quality JtR.  There may still be some growing pains, on non-Linux systems, but when we hear about them we have been able to work through many of them pretty quickly.

Enjoy.....