Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 06:53:41 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Many Problem's + Many Try's and no Soultion

On 04/26/2014 02:39 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> If you know the characters in those positions reliably, then you must
> exclude them from incremental mode's range.  Keep it at MinLen = 8 and
> MaxLen = 8.  If you nevertheless need to alter the character in position
> 14 (you don't know that one reliably, despite of knowing reliably the
> characters in positions 9 to 13, and 15 to 20), then I'm afraid it'd be
> best for you to run multiple instances of JtR, each one configured to
> try a different likely character for that position.  If there are more
> than a handful of likely possible characters per position, then you're
> probably out of luck anyway - although this depends on hash type (you
> had probably mentioned which it was, but I don't recall).

You could try an incremental mode with a length fixed to 9, and move
word[8] to word[13] in the external mode, then putting some of the known
characters before word[13], others after word[13].
But you are right, depending on hash type you'll only be able to cover a
minor part of the key space.

Frank