Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 01:09:58 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Loopback and encoding enhancements

On 2014-03-30 22:18, magnum wrote:
> On 2014-03-29 22:36, magnum wrote:
>> - You can now specify a "hashed encoding" so you can use UTF-8 wordlists
>> for cracking eg. LM hashes.
>> - You can even specify an "intermediate encoding" for the rules engine
>> to use when both wordlists and output hashes are UTF-8. This has some
>> performance penalty but might come very handy. If you use it when
>> attacking a Unicode format (eg. NT) it will automatically pick the
>> faster way of doing it (no extra conversion).
>
> Late change: I renamed --hashed-encoding to --target-encoding because I
> think it's more intuitive.
>
> BTW the new --intermediate-encoding option has the effect you can no
> longer just say -i for incremental mode. You need at least -inc. Any
> idea of a better name? It could be shorter too...

Oh, and now that we have -target-encoding, you can no longer use -t as
an abbreviation for --test. This will take a while for me to adopt :-/

Sorry about that, but I'm not changing it. If you didn't already, you
should install Frank's bash completion scripts (btw I hope the dists
that include Jumbo as a package install this properly).

magnum