Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 17:57:12 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: "-.-PhanTom-.-" <phantom@...uribox.net>
Subject: Re: john-1.8.0-Win-32 - john.omp.exe - cores used

---- "-.-PhanTom-.-" <phantom@...uribox.net> wrote:
> I tried reinstalling all of the Cygwin packages listed by JimF in his
> post, but still no luck.
>
> However, you were right about the wrong folder. :)
> In /run folder I can invoke ./john fine for the 1.8.0.2-bleeding so it
> looks like it compiled... but I don't understand, why no dll files at
> all are in the same dir. So I cannot run this in a windows command
> prompt as I still get the message about the missing crypto dll. Also the
> normal cygwin.dll is also not present.
> Maybe I am missing something obvious again......

This is Cygwin, not MinGW.  In cygwin,  the program files link against cygwin's set of dll's, NOT the default windows DLL's like mingw. However, the reason I built the cygwin64 howto, is I have been unable to properly get MinGW 64 running.

You should be able to run john under the cygwin bash shell (just like when you built it).  Also, you can add c:\cygwin64\bin into your windows path, and all (most??) of the DLL's will be properly found, and exe's you have built (or core cygwin exes) should run from a windows native command prompt.

The cygwin setup does not patch your windows path for you.  But I believe there are instructions on doing that, in the readme's from cygwin on their setup.  I normally run things in a cygwin bash shell, especially now that I have 32 bit and 64 bit environments on the same PC.  I do have batch files to add the cygwin bin path, for either 32 or 64 bit, if I need them.

Jim.