Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:33:14 -0800
From: Jeff Keller <jakeller@...r.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Need assistance with encrypted Time Machine sparsebundle

support. I vaguely recall it has been discussed somewhere. I'm trying to
scramble some brains but I can't promise anything.
>>> Here's where I
found it discussed:
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/359 [1]
>> Yes, and
this particular case is now
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/511 [2]

> Note
that DMG brute-force is very slow so even with a working format you

are not guaranteed a successful crack. So use this time to establish

base words, possible patterns etc. that you might have used, if

applicable. If you know it's eg. a plain english word in lowercase, it

> should be easy to crack. If it's a truly random 10 character
password,
> you are out of luck (unless it's digits only or something
like that).

> The good news is that the file created with dmg2john
will contain no
> sensitive information afaik, so you could publish it
here and hope for
> volunteers to help with global warming.

magnum

You mean once I'm able to use dmg2john :)

I know the password
isn't just a random string of chars. I've got some seed words in my head
that we can try once I get the hash.

Jeff

---
Jeff Keller