Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:38:57 -0500
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Decrypting PPT files

So another question I have regarding this: Can the $oldoffice$3* hash
format create false positives? Basically I "cracked" the hash but when I
use it to open up the powerpoint file in question, powerpoint just hangs.
Please note when I enter in the wrong password, Powerpoint will instead say
that the password is invalid.

Side note, the office2john.py in the unstable_jumbo branch appears to have
the bug I encountered earlier but the version in bleeding_jumbo does not.

And Dhiru, thanks for offering, but I can't share the powerpoint file in
question.

Thanks,
Matt