Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 19:09:21 -0700
From: Jack Wilborn <jkwilborn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to use Wordlists with John The Ripper

Reading these questions and using JtR on my Linux box, I've had some
trouble understanding the 'rules'.  I think it would help a lot to simplfy
the initial intro text on making rules.  I'm a retired programmer, so I
have some knowledge, but it's actual syntax and use is still evading me.

My suggestion would be to take a simple password, that is know the 'jack'
is the start of it, but it can be any of 10,000
 iteration such as 'john0000' to 'john9999' and show how the 'rule' is for
that specific example.  Of course when you mix alpha numerics such as
'john0000' through 'johnFFFF' (hex range and not the complete alpha group.
Show that and you could see what's up with the rules.  Then the other would
be the flip of it, like '0000john' to '9999john' and you may not need the
hex range, but it's inclusion would help show the patter of what's
happening.  The rules would have no more than what's necessary for the
example.  I believe that I would have a much faster learning rate with
simple starting examples.

It's such an amazing software project.

IMHO, I hope I make sense to you.

Thanks for the time