Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 23:17:12 +0100
From: Carsten Fuchs <carsten.fuchs@...u.de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Crash in 7z2john.py

Hi all,

I'm new to JtR, and started to familiarize myself with it in order to
find the passwords of a 7z archive.

After some initial reading, I started with the very helpful information
in this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.openwall.john.user/6756

Using Ubuntu 13.10, 64-bit, with a Core i5-4570, I checked out branch
"bleeding-jumbo" (commit e248dc1) and successfully built target
"linux-x86-64-opencl".

My first tests were all very successful (using CPU only, as I don't have
the graphics drivers properly installed for OpenCL yet), and I was able
to find passwords for a set of MD5 test hashes and also to find the
password for the 7z test case that Victor gave in the above thread.

However, I have trouble with the 7z2john.py script.

I use two test files:
test_1.py is one that I made myself, using 7-Zip under Windows.
test_2.py is my "real" case that I would like to find the password for.

~/JtR_bleeding-jumbo/run$ ./7z2john.py test_1.7z
test_1.7z : 7-Zip files without header encryption are *not* supported yet!

~/JtR_bleeding-jumbo/run$ ./7z2john.py test_2.7z
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./7z2john.py", line 919, in <module>
     f = Archive7z(open(filename, 'rb'))
   File "./7z2john.py", line 810, in __init__
     if not self.checkcrc(folder.crc, data[0:size]):
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'size' referenced before assignment

Well, this looks like a bug in the script, and I briefly looked at it,
but unfortunately don't know enough about the 7z file format to deal
with it myself.

Can anyone help me please so that it can output the hashes from
test_2.7z file?   :-)

Many thanks and best regards,
Carsten