Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:46:41 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: nt-opencl failures

On 2013-12-11 20:04, Jacob Williams wrote:
> I'm having a few issues getting john (john-1.7.9-jumbo-7) set up with
> opencl support.  I am on an x64 system (ubuntu server) with 3x AMD 7970
> GPUs.

1.7.9-jumbo-7 is severly outdated. Most or all of your problems will go
away if you use a development snapshot, eg:
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/tarball/bleeding-jumbo

That version also has support for using your three devices at once,
using "-fork=3 -dev=gpu".

> One curious error is the fact that
> amdconfig lists all 3 devices while john only shows two.

Maybe you only have two cards configured - what does clinfo say? You
might want to try something like "aticonfig --adapter=all --initial" to
configure all of them.

BTW if NT is what you will actually need support for, you should
probably use oclHashcat instead, it's currently an order of magnitude
faster. This does not apply to slower formats like WPAPSK or mscash2.

magnum