Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 21:56:33 -0700
From: Donald Raikes <evhadu@...look.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: jtr newbie: getting no hashes loaded message

Hello,

I am working on a class assignment in which we were given a password file containing the following:

username:base64_encoded sha256 hashed salted password:salt

I have tried every combination of options I can think of to get jtr to parse this file, but keep gettign the message "no hashes loaded".

I have even tried running the file through a perl script to base64_decode the password hash, but that still doesn't help.

basic syntax used:

$ john -w rockyou.txt hashes.txt

if I run:
$john --show hashes.txt

I get garbage displayed on the screen as though it had "cracked" some passwords but the passwords contained non-printable characters.

Is there a sample sha256 password file I could use to test my installation of john?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tia,
Don