Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 22:00:09 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Questions and suggestions to build a home cracking
 box. :)

On 2013-11-22 18:24, Richard Miles wrote:
> I know mask mode very briefly, to say the true I know it exist because of
> hashcat, but I don't understand it very well. I found this post and I guess
> it's related:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/06/15/1

Come on man, try harder. It's not that hard. Quoting that mail:

> $ ./john --mask='?u?l[ab]?d??' --stdout | head -3
> Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
> Aaa0?
> Aaa1?
> Aaa2?

The mask, separated by position, is ?u ?l [ab] ?d ??

First position is ?u == upper-case A-Z

Second position is ?l == lower-case a-z

Third position is [ab] == 'a' or 'b' (not supported by HC afaik)

Fourth position is ?d == digit 0-9

Fifth position is actually a static '?' but since the mask tokens begin
with a question mark, a literal one is escaped as '??'.

So how many candidates will this generate?

26 * 26 * 2 * 10 * 1

That's 13520 candidates. Not a lot: It will keep a GPU happy for just
about one millisecond.

> Where can I find a good documentation explaining how mask mode works,
> advances in comparison with other modes, etc?

I urge you to get familiar with this from a user perspective and then
write that documentation, on our wiki. Yes, you too can contribute!

http://openwall.info/wiki/john

Seriously, just create an account and go ahead.

magnum