Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 16:27:17 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How best to compute this via john

On 2013-10-08 18:54, Matt Weir wrote:
> There seems to be a couple of sub-topics when it comes to passphrase
> cracking
> 1) Dictionary Generation: How do you collect / create / clean input
> dictionaries of phrases

Creating terabyte wordlists doesn't feel right to me. Ideally they
should be created on the fly from (more or less) pristine sources. But
that might be easier said than done.

> - A "Markov" approach could select words based on their conditional
> probability

This has been brought up before and it's a cool idea. We should talk
Simon into writing it... It's definitely beyond me.

> c) I'd like to be able to use multiple dictionaries in JtR and refer to
> them directly in a mangling rule. Aka have all rules by default start with
> an implicit "insert word from dictionary 1", but have the ability to change
> that around and say "insert word from dictionary 2" "append word from
> dictionary 3" "append '123'". That way we could start doing things like
> "ProperName" + "loves" + "ProperName". It may be best to do this with an
> outside script though. In short though it would be nice to have a more
> advanced version of Hashcat's combinator attacks.

We could implement some kind of alternate wordlist mode that can take
two files and that would enable use of the rules that are currently
single-mode only.

BTW I had this idea long ago on this list, I still think it would be
powerful:
"Currently we have these two ways (among others) of producing candidates:
- Single mode will use 'user info' but not a wordlist
- Wordlist mode will use a wordlist but the 'user info' is unavailable

How about combining that? In its simplest form, that is wordlist rules
(or variables?) that has knowledge of the current user name (and
possibly gecos info etc)."

magnum