Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 12:54:52 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: How best to compute this via john

There seems to be a couple of sub-topics when it comes to passphrase
cracking
1) Dictionary Generation: How do you collect / create / clean input
dictionaries of phrases
2) "Brute Force" strategies: How do you generate phrases that might be used
in a passphrase
- A "dumb force" approach would be a diceware approach where you start
picking random words
- A "Markov" approach could select words based on their conditional
probability
3) Figuring out mangling rules to use

I do have a couple of wish lists for JtR when it comes to passphrase
cracking
a) Hashcat has a "Title/E" rule where it will lowercase a phrase and then
capitalize every word after a space. That would be nice
b) I'd like to be able to perform multi-letter replacements. For example
'one' -> '1'
c) I'd like to be able to use multiple dictionaries in JtR and refer to
them directly in a mangling rule. Aka have all rules by default start with
an implicit "insert word from dictionary 1", but have the ability to change
that around and say "insert word from dictionary 2" "append word from
dictionary 3" "append '123'". That way we could start doing things like
"ProperName" + "loves" + "ProperName". It may be best to do this with an
outside script though. In short though it would be nice to have a more
advanced version of Hashcat's combinator attacks.

Right now I pretty much deal with all of those by using an outside script
an pipeing it into JtR.

Matt