Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 23:40:33 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: assistance dmg2john.py RE: encrypted / unmounted dmg partitions

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 09:30:47PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> BTW Dhiru, why do I have a dmg2john symlinked to john, as well as a dmg2john.py?

I can answer this for Dhiru since I was involved in the decision-making.

This is how it should be.  We have two implementations: one in C (linked
into the "john" binary, hence the symlink to "john"), the other in
Python.  The C implementation is usable on any system where JtR is
built, without a dependency on Python (but this requires either a C
compiler or a binary build of JtR).  The Python implementation does not
require a build of JtR, so it is more convenient to run on a Mac in
cases where the actual password cracking is to be performed on another
machine (e.g., on a Linux box with GPUs).  The Python implementation is
especially handy when offering DMG password recovery as a service
(whether paid or free).

Alexander