Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 09:50:29 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Using DYNAMIC for implementing SHA-512 ^ 101 ?

On 25 Jul, 2013, at 6:30 , Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com> wrote:
> On 07/23/13 at 10:47am, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> For extra long hashes we should consider storing them base64 encoded,
>> even if the format supports hex encoded and base64 encoded hashes.
>
> You sound like magnum (a base64 *lover*) here but I get the point ;)

Lol, I don't prefer base64 over hex per se, but I really hate 32 kilobyte test vectors like we had in LUKS until a while ago (thanks!). They are not even likely to be accepted by some compilers.

BTW I think LINE_BUFFER_SIZE should be smaller than the current 0x30000, not larger than 0x10000 if possible. Some of our current tools will make inline hashes up to LINE_BUFFER_SIZE.

magnum