Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 21:31:48 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com, Bloody Prince <bloodyprince08@...oo.com>
Subject: Re: JtR 1.8.0 for Windows needed!

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 09:46:53AM -0700, Bloody Prince wrote:
> I have dual core processor, but my CPU doesn't support VT-x, so I would not be able to run Virtual Machine full blast - it's gonna be pretty slow for John for Linux to be able to generate passwords in incremental mode more than 8 characters in length!

BTW, the slowdown might not be as bad as you imagine - e.g., for an old
version of QEMU with kqemu (on Linux) running on Pentium 3, I measured a
slowdown of only 2% (vs. native speed) for JtR "--test" benchmarks (but
a slowdown of several times for many other tasks - the operating system
call intensive ones).

I don't recommend the VM approach, though.

> My best bet is to run JtR 1.8.0 for Windows! Please inform me about your plans on that matter! Thank you.

I do plan to make official builds of JtR 1.8.x for Windows - this could
be of 1.8.0 or of a later 1.8.x version.

Meanwhile, your options are:

1. Install Cygwin and build from source.  You may build clean 1.8.0, or
you may checkout the bleeding-jumbo branch from the GitHub repository to
get a lot of extras.

-OR-

2. Use JtR 1.8.0 pre-built for Windows by a community member:

http://download.openwall.net/pub/projects/john/contrib/win32/
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/custom-builds

Note that with these two approaches you may need to replace the
cygwin1.dll file with one taken from our official john179w2.zip archive.
There was an issue with OpenMP support in upstream's cygwin1.dll which
is binary-patched in our copy in john179w2.zip, but is likely left
unfixed in upstream Cygwin and in the (newer) version of cygwin1.dll in
Robert's builds.

-OR-

3. Use an older version.

-OR-

4. Run JtR on other than Windows.

What hash/cipher type(s) do you intend to use JtR on?  Are these even
supported in clean 1.8.0 or do you need jumbo?

Alexander