Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 22:30:58 +0200
From: Truls Edvard Stokke <trulses@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Using JtR to generate tripcodes

Users of text/imageboards frequently search for novelty tripcodes (i.e.
tripcodes with certain phrases in them), usually this is done by generating
a very large number of them and then running the output versus a regex or
something to that effect (which is why I can't just keep them in the binary
format).

To that goal I would like to use JtR (or at least some part of it) to
generate a lot of them.

>From what I can tell it's possible to modify the DES_bs_get_hash function
(DES_bs.c:331 john-1.8.0) to extract all the 64 bits required to get a
result on the same form as what DES_bs_get_binary (DES_bs.c:281 john-1.8.0)
returns from a cipher text, and I assume all the information from the
cipher text is retained in the binary format, but I don't know how to go
from the binary format to the cipher text.

I am wholly unfamiliar with DES, where do I go from here? If it helps you
don't have to include tripcode specific information in your answer, as far
as I know just getting a regular DES cipher text from the binary format
would suffice.