Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:31:59 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bleeding-jumbo extensions help. Ubuntu 12.4 Linux on Oracle VM

On Sat, Jun 03, 2013 at 12:45:28PM -0400, James Ross wrote:
> I'm looking for help in running the extension to bleeding-jumbo that allows
> john to crack bitcoin wallet.dat files. Ran into a series of errors earlier
> but Dhiru Kholia (dhiru@...nwall.com) had been extremely helpful in working
> through those and most recently we both have been stumped. included is the
> conversation log:
>
> Input:
> ??? ../run/john --format=bitcoin -t
>
> Basically the error is the reponse:
>
> $ Unkown ciphertext format name requested

To help us determine what version and build of John you're actually
using, can you please run these commands:

../run/john
../run/john --list=build-info

and post their entire output in here?  Do not retype anything, but use
copy-paste or redirect command output to a text file and attach that.

> > I have run out of ideas. Try posting on "john-users" mailing list.

Dhiru - I suggest that when people contact you privately, you ask them
to post to john-users right away, then help them via replies on
john-users.  That way, your replies would be helping more people at once.

Alexander