Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 23:42:53 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR OpenCL - AMD GPU not listed

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:30:48PM -0700, NeonFlash wrote:
> Even after setting that environment variable, issue persists. I am still unable to see the GPU in the clinfo output.

Sorry, I gave you wrong advice.  What you actually need is to set the
XAUTHORITY environment variable to point to the ~user/.Xauthority file
for the user currently logged into the X desktop.  And that file must be
made readable to your user account.

> X11Forwarding is set.

Contrary to what you might expect, you must not use X11 forwarding in
order to be able to use the remote GPU.  With X11 forwarding, remote X
apps would talk to your local X server (over SSH), but to use the remote
GPU you actually want them to talk to the remote X server.

Luckily, the server-side X11 forwarding setting does not matter.  What
matters is your client-side X11 forwarding setting (if the server-side
setting is enabled).  As I've explained above, to use the remote GPU you
must not use X11 forwarding (just do not enable it in your SSH client).

Alexander