Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 23:23:08 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Creating dummy hashes

Old quote but the context is not very important for this answer:

On 20 Dec, 2012, at 5:34 , Matt Weir <cweir@...edu> wrote:
> Here is a script that I use to translate my target passwords to the
> dummy format:
>
> cat input.txt | od -A n -t x1 | tr "0a" '\n' | sed 's/ //g' | awk '{if
> (length($0)>0){i++;print i":$dummy$"$0;}}' > dummy_fmt.txt
>
> I'm sure there's more elegant ways to do the conversion, but it seems
> to work ok.

Just for the record, I had marked this mail for the day I'd need dummy. It turned out the above doesn't work. The tr "0a" '\n' does not do what you want (could be replaced with sed though).

So I looked into adding dummy into pass_gen.pl which sits in the run directory since some time now - and it turns out it's already supported %-)

$ tail -5 ../run/password.lst | ../run/pass_gen.pl dummy
#!comment: Built with pass_gen.pl using RAW mode, 0 to 128 characters dict file=unknown

  ** Here are the hashes for format  **
0-dummy:$dummy$676f
1-dummy:$dummy$6e6577636f757274
2-dummy:$dummy$6e697465