Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 11:26:55 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Cc: 'Claudio André' <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
Subject: RE: Re: 'close' to getting opencl working

I have gotten OpenCL working.  I installed the AMD drivers for v1.2 and
things are now working.  I have not uninstalled the Intel drivers, they are
still there.  The AMD drivers were easier to install, since they actually
installed fine under Unbuntu, without having to use alien and converting all
the rpm files into deb files.

Well, it works (sort of). Should be good enough to at least compile/test.  I
am not looking for performance, only build/run.

I do get this error at startup of JtR:

$ ../run/john -test=10 -form=xsha512-ng-opencl
Setting of real/effective user Id to 0/0 failed
FATAL: Module fglrx not found.
Error! Fail to load fglrx kernel module! Maybe you can switch to root user
to load kernel module directly
Device 0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Local worksize (LWS) 1, global worksize (GWS) 262144
Benchmarking: Mac OS X 10.7+ salted SHA-512 (pwlen < 55) [OpenCL
(inefficient, development use mostly)]... DONE
Many salts:	6728K c/s real, 1705K c/s virtual
Only one salt:	6044K c/s real, 1620K c/s virtual

I tried installing fglrx (not sure what it is).  Sounded like it hooked into
the kernel. However, next reboot of Unbuntu would not start properly.  It
simply gave the graphic enter passwd screen, then after that was entered, it
would simply cycle back to that screen.   Hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1 (go to screen
1), I could log in, and then startx was failing.  I uninstalled fglrx and
after a couple reboots, I have my Ubuntu back.  I did have to re-install the
AMD OpenCL again.  I think the uninstall reverted the lib path and other
things back to the intel OpenCL.  But after reinstall of AMD, and another
reboot, things are working.  The error message is there, but I will simply
ignore it.

Thanks for help ppl.  It is a new experience for me.

Jim.