Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 04:55:02 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: 'close' to getting opencl working

2013/4/27 Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>:
> VMware supports CUDA/OpenCL, I'd wager that VB might not?
> http://blogs.vmware.com/performance/2011/10/gpgpu-computing-in-a-vm.html
>
> An article from 2011 says VB doesn't (didn't then)
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=virtualbox_4_opengl&num=1
> Using Gallium3D would also make it feasible to also open up other forms of
> acceleration to guests such as for OpenCL, OpenVG, OpenGL ES, and Xorg
> EXA/XvMC. VirtualBox does provide 2D acceleration support when using their
> driver. The VirtualBox Direct3D driver is also limited to Direct3D 8/9
> while there is a Gallium3D Direct3D 10/11 state
> tracker<http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15292>in existence.
>
> Just a guess, but maybe others are using VirtualBox and OpenCL, I can't
> seem to find it in my search however...

If we talk about OpenCL support for GPUs it might be problematic
because it is implemented by graphics driver.
However CPU acceleration "should" work in my opinion.

<quote> Today, you can use the OpenCL CPU compute device in a VM </quote> from:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5298453/cuda-opencl-within-a-virtual-machine-hypervisor

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=8279

I tried to grep "No OpenCL devices found" in jumbo sources and this is
not our message.
BTW it is possible to use Intel CPU on AMD OpenCL sdk, Jim might give it a try.

Lukas