Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:41:53 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Charset filters and options

On 25 April 2013 21:57, Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On 25 April 2013 20:04, Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
> > wrote:
> > >  that A-Z were used in
> > >
> > > Also shouldn't Alpha be 27 and Alnum 37 for 0x32? I see the filters
> don't
> > > have space in them, so i understand why they aren't, never noticed
> > > before...
> > >

> > I have a bad headache so I am not following with why space would be
> there?
> >
> > Yeah I shouldn't of sent that :) I realized it's too late for me, I need
> some sleep disreguard the 27/37 :)
>

> > then do a john --make-charset from that. I may tailor the grep down a bit
> > more depending on what I am hopign to catch first. If I know that the
> rules
> > required 1 upper, 1 number, lowercase, I do something like:
> >
> The auditing I do that pays the bills always involves Pwd-Policies like
> 1Upper, 1 digit or 1 special  at least 8 long, which is a requirement that
> most websites or dumps you find on insidepro/pastebin etc don't have. I'll
> have a closer look at making alnum into 62 chr's again tomorrow and seeing
> what up.All.chr typically works, but alnum still seems to be useful as
> well, even with policies in place :) I'm more curious as to why it's always
> been 36 (afaik) as opposed to 62. I can see that there is in fact little
> need for upper 90% of the time however. (g-night)

I find that for these policies that you get the most bang for the buck with
special wordlists as people will default to what is simplest.

>7 cAz"[0-9]"
>7 cAz"[!@...^&*()]"

grabs most. The second highest I have seen is

>7 cA0....

After that people like to put numbers between words which requires a bit
more tricky ness. [One can probably do this with a john rule of
substituting [:space:] with 1 or something but I haven't gotten that to
work. Instead I end up writing some sort of python script using a
dictionary of 2-4 letter words and printing out capitalized words, numbers
or special in the spaces, and going from that. Then depending on the
encryption algorithm being chosen I limit the dictionary down to the most
common words etc to make sure I don't end up spending more weeks than a
password change policy to find some goof ball who decided
"My1Password2Is3Password" over "Asleep_tent3wit=Aid5Helix" (the first one
is pretty common while the second one is not.)

--
Stephen J Smoogen.