Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 15:57:11 +0200
From: Sandra Schlichting <littlesandra88@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong?

> What you were doing wrong was using a non-informative message Subject.
> This almost made me delete the message without reading, thinking that it
> was spam.  A better subject would have been e.g. "cracking MD5 hashes",
> or even just "MD5".

Thanks =) Next time will I write the subject after I have written the post,
so it can be more informative =)

She was getting "0 password hashes cracked, 0 left" in response to
> "john --format=MD5 --show /tmp/hashs" for three reasons at once, every
> one of which was sufficient on its own:
>
> 1. The "--format=MD5" option requests md5crypt, not raw MD5.
>
> 2. "--show" is for showing previously cracked passwords, not for initial
> cracking of hashes.
>
> 3. There's no raw MD5 support in "official" versions of JtR (such as the
> 1.7.9 release); it is a jumbo feature.
>
> And yes, our historical use of "MD5" vs. "raw-MD5" for format names
> keeps causing confusion for new users...

Very useful stuff! Thanks =)

Yes, I would prefer

md5 -> crypt-md5
raw-md5 -> hex-md5

but not a big deal, as it is just a formulation =)

Hugs,
Sandra