Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:02:46 +1300
From: Pedro Worcel <pedro@...cel.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GPU Cracking and ./john --test

​ello there!

I am attempting to get my GPU (AMD 6520G) to crack some hashes, mainly to
make use of the new computer I got. I am still deep into the learning
curve, so if I missed something I am ok with being told.

I've folowed the instructions of the GPU Support
page<http://openwall.info/wiki/john/GPU>,
and managed to install the AMD SDK, and the propietary AMD drivers got
installed automatically on my Backbox installation.

I've gotten to the point of actually testing the install, and that is my
main issue resides. My computer freezes! Both when I run john --test or run
the GPU test. (during the GPU test, it hangs while cracking phpass.)

I'm thinking it might be related to
this<http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/06/29/1>
:

Several of these require byte-addressable store (any NVIDIA card, but
only 5000 series or newer if AMD/ATI).  Also, OpenCL kernels for "slow"
hashes/non-hashes (e.g. RAR) may cause "ASIC hang" on certain AMD/ATI
cards with recent driver versions.  We'll try to address these issues in
a future version.

​ny tips would be greatly appreciated! I think I would like to crack MD5,
SHAs and WPA2 captures mainly, just for the sake of it.

Thanks!
Pedro