Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 19:37:01 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RAR Cracking with JtR Jumbo (Files found during forensics)

On 13 Feb, 2013, at 17:25 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Actual speeds I am getting for these are:
>
> HD 7970: 861 c/s
> GTX 570 o/c: 1219 c/s
>
> I'm not sure why 7970's speed has dropped so much (vs. --test).  magnum?

RAR speed is highly dependant on password length. Length 4 is significantly faster than length 8. Our GPU benchmark use length 6. The speed suffers as soon as *any* password in a keys-per-crypt batch is longer. Unfortunately this is often the case for wordlist runs. You can mitigate it by sorting the file by length but adding --rules to the mix will render that effort pointless.

Also, I had over 7000 c/s [for length 6] at one point, using 7970. I have tried to find out why it has dropped but can't see why. It might be a driver thing. The nvidia speed is better than ever (but still low).

I presume Hashkill is the best RAR cracker for AMD GPU right now but it only runs on Linux.

magnum