Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:58:49 +0200
From: Aki Immonen <aki@...soft.fi>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Cracking AIX {smd5} password hashes

Hello Everybody,

I'm trying to figure out how to crack AIX 6.1 and 7.1 password hashes. The hashes are stored at /etc/security/passwd and are formatted as follows:

user:
	password = {smd5}s8/xSJ/v$uGam4GB8hOjTLQqvBfxJ2/
	lastupdate = 1360665171

The password that resulted the above hash is 'password'.

The AIX documentation says it is salted MD5 hash, but the format seems to be different that the normal $1$ hashes.
The salt and the hash both seem to be BASE64 encoded, and I've tried to re-generate the hash with this command without success:

(echo "s8/xSJ/v"|base64 -D; echo -n "password")|openssl md5 -binary|base64

Any ideas?

//Aki