Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 18:08:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Support for PBKDF2 (SHA512)

Bruce -

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 03:01:33PM +0100, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 2013/2/6 Bruce Jackson <brucej72@...glemail.com>:
> > I've been looking through various mail list archives and I can see discussion of support for PBKDF2 (SHA512) hashes (like those on Mountain Lion), but its not clear to me if this format is currently supported by John or not. Can anyone help?
>
> We have cpu implementation, format name: pbkdf2-hmac-sha512

It is important to add that this is currently available in the git trees
only, both in unstable-jumbo and bleeding-jumbo.  It is not in the
latest jumbo release (which is 1.7.9-jumbo-7).  Please refer to this
wiki page for how to retrieve the git trees:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches

Also relevant is the ml2john.py script found in the run directory in
unstable-jumbo and bleeding-jumbo.  This is the tool to process Mountain
Lion's .plist files for use with JtR.

Alexander