Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 03:28:26 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Driver version conflict

Hi Piyush, all -

!Piyush - can someone else take this discussion from here?  I am not the
best person to be commenting on this, but someone has to, so I am
replying this time.

Piyush -

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 05:58:10PM +0530, Piyush Mittal wrote:
> I have build the JTR in linux-x86-64-cuda mode. After getting benchmark for
> all formats, I am getting following warning.
[...]
> > CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version in
> > cuda_common.cu at line 43
>
> I have already installed latest cuda toolkit. What changes I need to make?

Please read doc/BUGS in jumbo, and specifically this paragraph:

In GPU-enabled builds, running "john --test" (with no --format
restriction) will eventually fail (before it has a chance to test all
formats).  This is because GPU resources allocated by one format are
currently not freed before proceeding to test another format (they're
only freed when John exits).  We're going to correct this in a future
release.  Meanwhile, please test GPU-enabled formats one by one, e.g.
with "john --test --format=mscash2-opencl", etc.

You appear to be running plain "john --test", which is unfortunately not
supposed to work in GPU-enabled builds currently.  The specific error
message you're getting suggests that something else goes wrong as well
(I don't recall this error ever being reported before), but regardless
you should be testing with e.g.:

	./john --test --format=phpass-cuda

To obtain a list of CUDA-enabled formats, use:

	./john --list=formats | fgrep cuda

Please let us know if you continue getting the "CUDA driver version ..."
error message even when testing the formats one by one.  If so, also let
us know if you're able to run any other CUDA programs (other than JtR)
without running into this issue.

Thanks,

Alexander