Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:05:22 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Sequence of format registration (was: Multiple formats
 accepting the same raw hashes)

On 01/03/2013 02:49 PM, Rich Rumble wrote:
> If John chooses formats that it encounters in
> alphabetical order of detection, then I think it should continue that.

Actually, the logic is somewhat more complicated than that.
If you are curious, you can have a look at the source code, file john.c,
function john_register_all.

Only the plugin-formats (those implemented in *_fmt_plug.c files) are
registered "alphabetically" (after the formats supported by the core
version and the dynamic formats).

I used "alphabetically" in quotes, because
a) the list of source code *file* names *_fmt_plug.c is sorted, not the
*format* names
b) the sort sequence of the file names even depends on the locale settings.

That means, with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 you get
john_register_one(&agile_keychain_fmt);
john_register_one(&fmt_BFEgg);
john_register_one(&chap_fmt);
john_register_one(&fmt_clipperz);
john_register_one(&fmt_crc32);
john_register_one(&fmt_cryptsha256);
john_register_one(&fmt_cryptsha512);
john_register_one(&fmt_DMD5);
john_register_one(&dmg_fmt);
john_register_one(&fmt_DOMINOSEC);
and with LC_ALL=C you get
john_register_one(&fmt_BFEgg);
john_register_one(&fmt_DMD5);
john_register_one(&fmt_DOMINOSEC);
john_register_one(&fmt_EPI);
john_register_one(&fmt_FGT);
john_register_one(&fmt_HDAA);
john_register_one(&fmt_IPB2);
john_register_one(&fmt_KRB4);
john_register_one(&fmt_KRB5);
john_register_one(&fmt_MSCHAPv2);

This is definitely something we should change.

Frank