Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 11:01:59 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Multiple formats accepting the same raw hashes

Hi John,

On 01/02/2013 11:26 PM, John Hall wrote:
> Perhaps when john starts it could mention which hash it feels it discovered in case it may not be the actual hash so the user can decide whether to specify a hash type in the invocation.

may be I misunderstand you, or may be my previous mail was indeed too long.
IMO, what you request is exactly what already happens.

This happens when the same raw hash is valid for different formats - an
example that was also included in my previous mail:

./john testpw
Warning: detected hash type "blake2-512", but the string is also
recognized as "raw-sha512"
Use the "--format=raw-sha512" option to force loading these as that type
instead
Loaded 2 password hashes with no different salts (BLAKE2 512 [32/32])

This is the output if the input file contains hashes of different formats:

./john testpw
Warning: only loading hashes of type "blake2-512", but also saw type
"raw-sha512"
Use the "--format=raw-sha512" option to force loading hashes of that
type instead
Loaded 3 password hashes with no different salts (BLAKE2 512 [32/32])

Frank