Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 00:44:41 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Rulesets combination and logs

On 21 Dec, 2012, at 10:08 , vadim vitaly <vadim.vitaly@...il.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 9:37 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 Dec, 2012, at 17:14 , vadim vitaly <vadim.vitaly@...il.com> wrote:
>>> Here are two features requests for john. By feature request, i mean ideas
>>> for those who have the time, will and skills to dev something new for
>> john
>>> (thanks to them).
>>>
>>> First, it would be great to have the possibility to combine various
>>> rulesets when starting a cracking job.
>>> I mean something like that:
>>> ./john hashfile -rules:best.rules -rules:leetspeak.rules -w:wordlist
>>> This way it would be easier to crack password which are the result of two
>>> rules (or more!),  for example: n1nt3nd0!2012 (leetspeak + append
>>> special4num) and keeping at the same time a clear and simple rulesets in
>> my
>>> john.conf.
>>
>> This has been discussed and is already on various wish-lists, including
>> the one I use for not forgetting about things:
>> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/wishlist
> Thanks magnum, next time i'll take a look at the wishlist before asking ;-)

Giving your vote can be a good thing anyway. I too would really love combined rules but I have no idea (yet) how to implement it cleanly so I put my hope to Solar - he too has discussed this functionality iirc.

As you probably know there is this workaround though:

./john -w:wordlist -rules:best -stdout | ./john -pipe -rules:leetspeek hashfile

This accomplishes the exact same thing but is not resumable. You could of course make it resumable by letting the first process produce a temporary output file instead of piping it, but that file could get mind-bogglingly huge. On the other hand you could get rid of some dupes by throwing unique into the mix:

./john -w:wordlist -rules:best -stdout | ./unique templist && ./john -w:templist -rules:leetspeek hashfile

magnum