Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 09:18:05 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Creating Graphs from john.log

On 20 Dec, 2012, at 9:10 , Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net> wrote:
> On 20/12/2012 09:08, magnum wrote:
>> Hopefully you also know that you can show that figure, not in log but in output, by setting CrackStatus = Y and StatusShowCandidates = Y. Example:
>
> I wasn't aware such an option existed. Why not print this in the log by
> default ? This is really handy to have in all situations.

People like you and Matt probably have a thousand scripts and canned one-liners that would break immediately if I did such a thing. But since you can do it in john.conf, you can have it as your personal default!

Are you also not aware of --mkpc=1 and the LogCrackedPasswords = Y setting in john.conf? These two combined will let you match 1:1 what rule produced what guess, although the --mkpc=1 will have performance impact (mkpc obviously stands for max keys per crypt).

magnum